Thursday, January 22, 2009

THEN THEY CAME FOR ME

This by Pastor Martin Niemoller, an early supporter of Hitler; by 1934 Niemoller had come to oppose the Nazis, and it was largely his high connections to influential and wealthy businessmen that saved him until 1937, after which he was imprisoned, eventually at Sachsenhausen and Dachau concentration camps. He survived to be a leading voice of penance and reconciliation for the German people after World war 11. His poem is well-known, frequently quoted. and is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control. Wickepedia,

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME FOR ME
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home