Monday, August 03, 2009

Catchy, crispy couplets and quintessential quotes.

Drew Gilpin is 28th president of Harvard.
Her grand mother used to sing:
Iam a good old rebel,
That's what I am,
For this fair land of freedom,
I do not give a damn.

Know nature's children all divided her care;
The fur that warms a monarch, warmed a bear.
Alexander Pope.

As flees to wanton boys are we to the gods
They kill us for their sport.
King Lear.

The smallest worm will turn being trod upon.
King Henry 1V

He jests at scars who never felt a wound.
Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet...Montague and Capulet.

Gilded wombs do worms infold.

The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
Gray.

To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose
under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die.
The Preacher of Ecclesiates.

As flees to wanton boys are we to the gods;
They kill us for their sport.
King Lear.

The smallest worm will urn being trod upon.
King Henry 1V

He jests at scars who never felt a wound.

Gilded wombs do worms infold.

The paths of glory lead but to the grave.
Gray.

There is no terror, Cassius, in your threats,
For I am armed so strong in honesty
That they pass by me as an idle wind,
Which I respect not.

O Cromwell, Cromwell..
Had I but serv'd my God with half the zeal
I serv'd my King, He would not mine age
Have left me naked to mine enemies.
Cardinal Wolsey in Henry V111.

But if the while I think on thee dear friend,
All losses are restor'd and sorrows end.
Shakespeare's sonnet.

When wasteful wars shall statues over turn
And broils root out the work of masonry.

False face must hide what the false heart must know.
Macbeth.

Though with patience he stands waiting
With exactness he grinds all.
Longfellow.

We lose it not so long as we can smile.

The heavens forbid
But that our loves and comforts should increase
Even as our days do grow.
Desdemona to Othello.

The cut worm forgives the plough.

If a man should sleep and dream that
he had been in heaven and on waking
find within his hand a flower
as atoken that he had really been there
Ay what then, what then.
Coleridge.

Did he smile his work to see
Did he who made the lamb make thee.

What's in a name? That which we call rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
Romeo and Juliet.

From Shakespeare's Othello:
Desdemona had to choose between father ( Brabantino ) and husband to be the dark skinned Moor, Othello.

Barabantino:
Come hither, gentle mistress:
Where most you owe obedience?

Desdemona:
My noble father,
I do perceive here a divided duty:
To you I am bound for life and education;
My life and education both to learn me
How to respect you; you are the lord of duty,
I am hitherto your daughter: but here's my husband,
And so mucch duty as my mother show'd
To you, preferring you before her father,
So much I challenge that I may profess
Due to the Moor my lord.

Juliet to Romeo:
Good night, Good night, as sweet repose and rest
Come to thy heart as that within my breast.
Juliet to Romeo:
My bounty is as boundless as the sea
My love is deep; the more I give to thee
The more I have, for both are infinite.
Juliet to Romeo:
Good night, Good night: parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say good night till it be tomorrow.

The world is a looking glass and gives and gives back to every man ( and woman) the reflection of his own face. Frown at it and it will in turn look sourly upon you Laugh at it and with it and it is a jolly kind companion. And so let all young persons take their choice.

They gather by unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas.
Our birth is nothing but our death begun.

From the The Two Gentlemen from Verona:
I knew him myself, from our infancy
We have conversed and spent hours together;
And though myself have been an idle truant
Omitting the sweet benefit of time
He made use and fair advantage of his days
He is complete in feature and in mind
With all good grace to grace a gentleman.

Dryden's tribute to Shakeapeare:
But Shakespeare's magic could not copied be;
Within that circle, none durst walk but he.

King John:
To guard a title that was rich before,
To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

Iago in Macbeth
For when my outward action doth demonstrate
The native act and figure of my heart
In complement extern, 'tis not long after
But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home